Effective Date: January 30, 2022
How We Collect Information
As further described below, we collect several types of information through your use of our Applications, with cookies and similar technology. This may include:
Information you provide to us
- When you request a quote for our products and services, or apply for our products and services
- When you subscribe to our email newsletter.
- When you complete an online survey.
- When you contact us or report a problem with our products and services.
- When you participate in a safe driving rewards program accessible through our mobile app.
- Other information you may automatically submit to us related to your use of our Applications.
Information from third parties
HDVI may collect and use information we receive from third parties in connection with your interests for our products and services. We may supplement the information you provide with information from third parties who can provide more information about you, which allows us to update our records.
Information we collect through cookies and similar online technologies
As you navigate through our Applications, we may passively collect details about your use of our Applications through tracking tools. We may also collect information about your installation and use of our mobile applications. We also work with third parties who help gather this information.
What Information We Collect
When you use our products and services, the types of information we collect may include name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, social security number, date of birth, gender, vehicle information, commercial driver’s license (CDL) number, driving records, as well as any relevant health information.
Additionally, we use digital tools to automatically collect other information that include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, Internet Service Provider (ISP), browser information, date and time stamp, geolocation, operating system, and device information.
How We Use Information We Collect
We may use information that we collect to provide you with our products and services and determine risk factors that may affect your insurance coverage. We will only use this information for the specific reason for which it is provided. HDVI may collect or use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide you with our insurance products and services.
- To perform analytics for facilitating decision making.
- To ensure compliance with our regulatory and legal responsibilities.
- To better manage your account and help prevent fraud.
- To optimize your online experience through the pages you visited on our websites or your use of our mobile applications.
- To identify the products and services that may interest you.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you marketing communications, offers and promotions about our products and services.
- For participants in a safe driving rewards program accessible through our mobile app, to provide required information for tax reporting purposes.
How We Share Information Collected
Additionally, we may transfer your personal information in the event of business merger, acquisition, or any form of sale or transfer of some or all of our assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation), in which case personal information held by us will be among the assets (including as a stand-alone asset) transferred to the buyer or acquirer.
- To comply with legal process;
- To respond to requests from government authorities or law enforcement;
- To protect our operations or those of any of our Affiliates;
- To protect our own legal interests in the event of suspected illegal or fraudulent activities.
Cookies & Similar Technologies
We use “cookies” and similar technologies to help us improve our Applications. A cookie is a small piece of data that is stored on your computer or mobile device. Cookies are used with the following intent:
- To estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- To authenticate your access to various areas of our Applications.
- To recognize you when you return to our Applications.
If you wish to opt-out of having your e‑mail address used for promotional purposes by HDVI, you may click on the “unsubscribe” link located in the emails we send to you. Should you need further assistance, please contact us. We will respond to such requests as soon as reasonably practicable.
We retain your personal information as needed to provide you products and services for the purpose for which it was collected, such as account management and quoting. We also retain and use your information as required or permitted by law to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
We maintain reasonable and appropriate measures that are designed to safeguard the confidentiality and integrity of the personal information obtained through the Applications from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. However, Internet transmissions cannot be made absolutely secure. We encourage you to use caution when using the Internet.
Third Party Websites Linked to HDVI
California Consumer Privacy Act
HDVI fully meets all provisions of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), enacted on January 1st, 2020. HDVI is wholly committed to remaining transparent about the data we collect, process and store.
Consumer Rights under CCPA
- Right to request access to personal information from HDVI, twice per year, at no charge. Access requests will be processed by CMT within 45 days, in a clear and understandable format. HDVI will verify the identity of the consumer prior to providing the requested data.
- Right to access personal information that is sold. (Not applicable, as HDVI does not sell personal information.)
- Right to request deletion of personal information collected or stored by HDVI.
- Right of non-discrimination by HDVI for exercising their consumer rights under CCPA.
Personal information collected by HDVI in the past 12 months
HDVI typically only collects the following personal information:
Name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, social security number, date of birth, gender, vehicle information, commercial driver’s license (CDL) number, driving records, as well as any relevant health information. Additionally, we use digital tools to automatically collect other information that include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, Internet Service Provider (ISP), browser information, date and time stamp, geolocation, operating system, and device information.
HDVI collects data from two different sources:
HDVI obtains data from the individual submitting the information. This information is provided by you to HDVI when creating an account to use HDVI services.
HDVI gathers information based on the individual’s interaction with HDVI’s website, application or other services.
Purposes of personal information collection
HDVI only collects data when necessary to provide services. All data is used for legitimate business purposes and only the least amount necessary for services is collected. Please reference the section “How We Use Information We Collect” above for explicit details on how information is used.
Sale of personal information in the last twelve months
Under no circumstances does HDVI sell data. No personal information is disseminated by HDVI to third-parties for monetary value. The consumer right to opt-out of data sales does not apply to the nature of HDVI’s business. This includes the CCPA provision regarding the sale of data belonging to minors.
California residents may exercise their consumer rights under the CCPA by contacting HDVI via the following methods:
High Definition Vehicle Insurance, Inc.
Attn: HDVI Privacy
55 W Monroe St.
Chicago, IL 60603
United States of America
All other feedback, comments, requests for technical support and other communications relating to the products and services should be directed to email@example.com